module 1 wonders of the world
unit 2 i was on the edge of the grand canyon.
1. 課前朗讀 預習本課的詞匯、語言點。
1) where may the passage come from?
a. a guidebook .
b. a grammar book.
c. a dictionary.
d. a diary .
2) why was there nothing to see?
a. because there was nothing
b. because it was too dark.
c. because it was raining.
d. because it was in the morning.
3) where was the writer facing on the edge of the grand canyon?
a. to the south
b. to the north
c. to the east.
d. to the west.
4) what is the winner’s purpose in writing this passage ?
a. to give facts about the grand canyon.
b. to tell how he feels about the grand canyon.
c. to describe the grand canyon.
d. to tell people to visit the grand canyon.
think of any wonders of the world, such as buildings, mountains, rivers, seas, towers, waterfalls and etc, then describe it.
1. read the passage and describe what you can see in the photo. work in pairs. try to describe what you see in the photo by using the words below.
ancient deep high long modern natural tall wide
2. read the passage again and try to fill the form with the facts about the grand canyon.
how deep /wide is it?
how wide is it ?
how long is it ?
1．after reading the passage and match the words in the box with their meaning.
anywhere not made by people
gate an entrance
huge someone you don’t know
natural very very big
stranger in any place
2.read the passage again and try to find out the main language points in it by yourselves, then talk about them in groups.
have a try! and translate!
1) 從……里出來_______________ 2）走過大門_______________ 3）在東方_______________ 4）檢查_______________ 5）太……而不能_______________ 6）fall away _______________
7）處于……的邊緣_______________ 8）在……底部_______________ 9）look across _______________ 10）on both sides _______________ 11) over 400 kilometers long _______________
1. through 與 across的區別：through 是“穿過”的意思，是介詞，常指“從某空間內或某物中間穿過”，多指穿過門、窗、洞、森林、隧道等；across是指“從某個平面橫過”，多指穿過街道、馬路、橋梁、河等的表面。
例如： walk through the forest , run across the bridge.
2. in five minutes 意為“5分鐘以后”，“in +一段時間”表示“在一段時間之后或之內”，常用于一般將來時，用“how soon”提問。
how long 是“多久”的意思，常對for 和 since 引起的表延續的短語提問，常用于現在完成時；
how often 有“多久一次”的意思，對頻率提問，如 often ，sometimes，twice a week 等表示頻率的詞或短語，常用語一般現在時或一般過去時；
how many 后跟復數名詞，對可數名詞的量來提問；
how much 后可跟不可數名詞，對不可數名詞的量來題問，或對價格提問；
how many times 對次數提問，如twice，several times等，是“多少次”的意思，常用于現在完成時；
how far 對距離提問；
1）_______________ is it from your school to your home?
2) _______________ has he been to the usa? once.
3) _______________ does the boy visit his grandparents?
twice a month.
4) _______________ will your sister come back from shenzhen?
in a week.
5) _______________ are the shoes?
one hundred yuan.
3. too … to … 是“太……而不能……”的意思。可與enough… to…，so … that…改寫。
例如： he is to young to go to school.-------同義句
he isn’t old enough to go to school.
he is so young that he can’t go to scool.
1） all the students will climb the mountain if it _______ rain tommow.
a. won’t b. don’t c. didn’t d. doesn’t
2) — _______ will the supper be ready? i’m very hungery.
— in a minutes.
a. how soon b. how long c. how much d. how often
3) please turn on the light. it is _______ dark _______ see anything in the room.
a. too，to b. so, that c. such , that d. too, not to
4）the two men walked _____ the tunnel and got to a small house .
a. across b. through c. crossing d. over
1）during the trip, after _______ _______ ( 穿過) the forest , we sailed _______ ( 橫渡 ) a big river.
2) the river in our hometown is about _______ _______ _______ (2000 公里長)。
1. —what about listening to some light music?
a. it doesn’t matter b. that’s all right c. it’s my pleasure d. good idea
2. my aunt isn’t here. she____- shanghai on business. she will be back in three days.
a. went b. has gone to c. has been to d. will go to
3“when did you buy these new cds?” “i ___ them for tow days.”
a. had b. have bought c. have had d. bought
swimming and english learning
can you swim? do you like swimming? yes? well, how can you learn to swim? i think the best way is to go into the water and learn. i’m afraid you’ll never swim. it’s the same with the english study. we must practice, practice and practice.
listening and speaking are very important for beginners. the children in english-speaking countries first listen to others. then they try to imitate and speak . we can listen to english programs on radio. you may just understand a few words. it doesn’t matter. just be relaxed, try to catch every word.
somebody may be a good listener. but he dare not speak. he’s afraid of making mistakes. you know we sometimes make mistakes when we speak chinese, don’t be afraid. we must be brave. if you really want to learn english well. you must try to speak with everyone so long as he knows english. whether you know him or is not important when there’s nobody to talk with, you can talk to yourself in english. it’s interesting and also a good way to practice your spoken english. remember, the more you speak, the fewer mistakes you’ll make.
reading and writing are more important for senior school students. first we must choose the books we’re interested in. a lot of reading will improve your language sends. this is the most important.
keep writing english diaries. we can also write english articles. you may even post them to english magazines. don’t be afraid of failure. failure is the mother of success.
easier said than done. well, let’s do more from now on. i’m sure you’ll learn english well in this way.
( ) 1、you can learn to swim by _______.
a reading books about it b looking at others swimming c having lessons on it d going into the river and learning
( ) 2、we should learn english by __________.
a listening and speaking b reading and writing
c swimming d both a and b
( ) 3 what will you do with mistakes when you speak?
a don’t make mistakes. b study hard.
c try not to speak english. d don’t be afraid.
( ) 4 what’s more important for senior school students?
a listening. b speaking c reading and writing d learning
( ) 5 we can listen to english ______ according to the passage.
a by train b on the radio c every minute d now and then
imagine you have seen one of the wonders of the world.write sentences describing how you felt when you saw it for the first time.